Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Eat to Live



Have you heard of Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live diet? I started it a couple of weeks ago, and I feel great. Basically, you eat a mainly plant-based (fruits, veggies, legumes) diet, omitting all animal products. This is not your college dining hall variety of vegan (french fries and two pieces of lettuce). You can pretty much eat as many vegetables as your stomach can physically hold.
By now you are probably going, this girl is nuts, why isn't she eating deep fried Twinkies and swigging natty light like the rest of us?Well, to answer your questions, I have celiacs (a gluten intolerance), so there goes the Twinkies and the beer. I'm also allergic to dairy. Basically, I can't eat much besides fruits and veggies anyways, and after reading Dr. Fuhrman's book, which offers sound medical science and refers to peer-reviewed scientific journals, I had nothing to really lose (besides about 15 pounds, of which I've lost seven). I would recommend checking it out. Even if you can't imagine following a diet like that, he makes several interesting points about nutrition in general, which might convince you to throw away that twinky, and pick up a carrot (or twenty).

No comments: